Policies & Guidelines
- Private Lesson Policies
- Class & Ensemble Policies
- Tuition & Fees
- Practice Policy
- Photography & Publicity
- We offer 30 minute or 1-hour lesson options.
- All private lessons reoccur weekly based on the student’s scheduled day and time.
- New lesson enrollment must be scheduled at least a week in advance.
- Any request for changes in lesson scheduling must be approved by Academy staff or the student’s instructor.
- Our lesson program is month-to-month so there is no long term commitment.
Lesson Attendance and Cancellations
Student Cancellations – As the instructor is reserving time for each student, it is important to keep student absences to a minimum. When an absence in absolutely necessary, as much notice as possible is required. We ask that students provide 24-hour notice of lesson cancelation if at all possible. With reasonable notice, instructors will work with the student/parent to reschedule. Without 24-hour notice the lesson is forfeited.
Instructor Cancellations – We expect absenteeism to be minimal; however, should an instructor miss a lesson we ask that instructors provide as much notice to the student as possible. Additionally, instructors are required to provide the student with a make-up for any missed lesson.
Instructor Substitutions – In the event an instructor has a scheduling conflict or an extended absence the Academy will provide a qualified substitute instructor.
Recitals and Performances
We engourage all students to participate in our yearly recitals and performance opportunities, however participation is not mandatory.
In the event recital participation conflicts with a regularly scheduled lesson, the recital shall serve in lieu of that lesson.
The Academy will be closed in observence of several public holidays throughout the year. These include but are not limited to: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
The Acadamy will also be closed annually on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving and during the last week of December (between Christmas and New Years) to allow our instructors to spend time with their famlies. No makeup lessons will be issued for holiday closures.
Emergency Closings and Weather Cancellations
Any decision to close the Murfreesboro Academy of Music is based on many factors including safety conditions and the National Weather Service and state advisories. Due to the large number of lessons and classes that may be affected, make-ups for emergency closings or weather cancelations cannot be guaranteed but all reasonable efforts will be made in order to offer a make-up at the instructor’s discretion. Academy personnel will notify students in the event of an emergency closing.
Make-up lessons are offered in the previously listed situations only if a mutually acceptable time can be found.
To aid in efficient and timely communication with all students and families enrolled in our educational offerings, we request that all students provided us with up to date contact information including: Email, Home Phone and Cell Phone.
- Students are required to notify their instructor and Academy personnel of their intent to stop lessons at least 30 days in advance.
- Failure to provide proper notice will result in a fee equivalent of 50% cost of the following month’s tuition.
Class & Ensemble Attendance and Cancellations
Student Cancellations – Respecting the difference between a private lesson and a class/ensemble rehearsal, unfortunately no credit or make-ups are offered when an individual student misses a scheduled class or ensemble rehearsal.
Instructor Cancellations – In the event that an instructor is unable to attend a scheduled class or ensemble rehearsal, students will receive as much advance notice as possible and a qulified substitute instructor will be provided or the class session/ensemble rehearsal will be rescheduled.
Emergency Closings and Weather Cancellations
Any decision to close the Murfreesboro Academy of Music is based on many factors including safety conditions and the National Weather Service and state advisories. Due to the large number of classes that may be affected, make-ups for emergency closings or weather cancelations cannot be guaranteed but all reasonable efforts will be made in order to offer a make-up at the instructor’s discretion. Academy personnel will notify students in the event of an emergency closing.
To aid in efficient and timely communication with all students and families enrolled in our educational offerings, we request that the Murfreesboro Academy of Music be provided with up to date contact information including: Email, Home Phone and Cell Phone.
Class & Ensemble Withdrawals
Student Withdrawal from Classes/Ensembles – Students should notify Academy personnel of their intent to withdraw from any scheduled class or ensemble. If notification is received after the class or ensemble session has started, no refund will be given.
Class & Ensemble Cancellation
The Murfreesboro Academy of Music reserves the right to cancel any classes or ensembles with insufficient enrollment. In the event that a class or ensemble is cancelled students will receive a full refund.
- Private lesson tuition is billed monthly and payment for lessons is due by the 1st day of the month.
- Payment for all ensembles and classes is due in full prior to the first scheduled class/ensemble session.
- All tuition payments recieved later than the 10th of the month will be considered late and subject to a $15 late fee and no lessons or classes may be attended prior to payment.
- A one-time non-refundable New Student Registration fee of $15 per student or $25 per family will be charged for all new students registering with the Murfreesboro Academy. The registration fee covers all administrative tasks associated with the weekly lesson program. In the event that a student takes a “leave of absence” from weekly lessons, the registration fee will be waived should the student return within 90 days.
- All students will recieve a tuition invoice sent electronically to their e-mail address. Please make sure to check your e-mail spam folder and let us know if you did not recieve a tuition invoice.
- Our electronic invoices allow for easy payment via electronic bank transfers.
- Many students also find it useful to schedule tuition payments as a reoccuring online billpay with their bank.
- We also accept Venmo Payments, Apple Cash and personal checks.
- All payments are to be made to the Murfreesboro Academy of Music.
- Lesson rates for weekly 30-minute and 60-minute lessons are $110/month and $220/month respectively.
- Any lesson rate change will be communicated in writing at least one month in advance.
Musical achievement requires sustained effort commitment and investment by both the instructor and the student. We encourage all Academy students to practice on a regualr basis and to develop good practice habits. Some suggestions include:
- Practice in a quiet place
- Schedule a consistent daily time for practice
- Use a quality instrument and ensure that it is in good working order
- Play often for family and friends
- Play a wide variety of music
- Communicate with your instructor regarding lesson experiences, goals, expectations, weekly assignments and any challenges you experience
- Make a commitment to practice frequently and efficiently!
Photography and Publicity
On occasion photos or videos of Academy students may be taken for use in company brochures, advertising or other public relations projects. Photographs or Videos featuring registered students are considered eligible for publication unless the student or parent/guardian of a student under the age of 18 submits in writing a request for non-use. Any such request should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the differences between classes and lessons and which is best?
Lessons are private, held weekly on the same day/time and can be scheduled for either 30 or 60 minutes. Classes feature groups of typically 4-10 students and are offered in sessions typically ranging from 6-8 weeks with one class per week. Examples of our classes include early childhood and pre-k music classes as well as our ensemble programs such as Rock Band, Sting ensemble and Ukulele ensemble.
Becasue everyone learns differently some students may benifit more from a group setting versus individaulized instruction or vise versa. Our early childhood classes are designed to be a great foundation for students age 2-5 and serve as a great stepping stone into our private lessons program. The Academy’s ensembles are designed to complement private lessons by offering a group envirioment, exposure to a variety of styles and techniques and additional performance opportunities.
What styles of music do you teach?
Our instructors are well-versed in a variety of musical styles and genres including: classical, rock, pop, jazz, blues, R&B, country, bluegrass, gospel, metal, celtic/Irish, latin, funk, musical theatre and many more.
How young is too young? What is the best age to begin music classes or lessons?
The best starting age really depends on the individual student and their desired instrument. We typically recommend starting very young students (age 2-5) with one of our early childhood music classes and depending on the individual ususally age 5-7 is a great age to start private lessons on most instruments. Many instruments such as violin, ukulele and guitar offer junior sized instruments designed for younger players.
Why choose the Academy?
1. Piano, Guitar, Voice, Singing, Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass, Drums, Percussion, Group Classes, Early Childhood Classes, Rock Band, Jazz Ensemble and a Children’s Choir are all available in one location!
We are the only school in Murfreesboro, TN that offers all of these classes and lessons! With such a large availability of choices and options we are sure to have what you are looking for.
2. The most qualified teaching faculty in Murfreesboro, TN.
All of our instructors have university degrees and professional performance experience. Our music teachers are dedicated to learning about your personal musical goals and helping you achieve them. With multiple music teachers for every instrument, we are confident that we have the right teacher to meet each students individual needs.
3. Huge range of lesson times available six days a week!
We offer music lessons six days a week from early in the afternoon to late at night to accommodate your busy schedule.
4. Proven track record of excellence!
Every year, aspiring music teachers start their own studios, and a year or two latter it’s closed. The Academy has a proven track record of offering quality music instruction. Our full time mission is teaching music and thats why we have been trusted by hundreds of students and families and voted as Murfreesboro’s top music instruction facility.
5. Professional teaching environment.
We have 8 private music lesson studios as well as a 2 large group classrooms. All of our studios are air conditioned, sound proofed with acoustic foam and extra insulation, and our piano teaching studios have high quality acoustic pianos.
6. Free music recitals and performance opportunities for students!
We offer stress free optional recitals twice a year for our students in addition to other performance opportunities such as a summer pops concert, student showcases, open mic nights and opportunities to perfom for various local and regional events.
In May and December many of our students choose to perform in our biannual recitals. Our recitals are free and open to the public and unlike many schools we do not charge recital participation or admission fees. In addition to our recitals we offer students the ability to perform with our Rock and Jazz ensembles, Academy Chior, String ensembles and as duets and small groups with other students.
7. Month to Month lessons.
The Academy does not require semester minimums for lessons. We offer lessons month to month and only require 30 days notice to cancel private lessons.